Re: High mileage

hn.heather@wanadoo.fr writes:

<< Tom,

 Re the high mileage.  Is this combined competition & training?  Or training
 alone?>

As you come into competitive season, assuming you're training year round,
then you'd taper back the overall mileage and intensify what is left.

>  Is it every-day workouts, every other day or x times per week?  Not
 trying to find out secrets, just want to make sense of it all.>

Figure two hard days a week, the rest medium distance recovery days.

 >A while back on ridecamp you suggested (I think I'm right in attributing
 this to you) that in fact a 160kms (for ex.) wasn't a "long" ride but a
 series of short ones.  You suggested targeting the longest leg and training
 over that distance at a higher hr.>

yes, that's the interval training day. But then, what I'm discovering is that
mileage is important at least one day every 8 days as well--this from my
friend Rob Lyden.

 >I assumed this meant cutting down on the kms and upping the intensity.  How
 does this fit in with the high mileage concept?  Or am I missing the point?>

As you approach competition, you want to cut overall mileage and tighten the
intensity. The long mileage you "put in the bank" earlier, allows you to pick
up the speed/intensity safely. Rob suggests that the final long day before
competition should be no closer than 13 days out, should be at race pace, and
should be taken at about 3/4 of the racing distance.  Haven't tried this yet,
though.

 >Heather
 France >>

ti