Re: RC: Helmets

Clausia,

It should be snug enough to make your scalp move when
you move the helmet, but it shouldn't press anywhere
in particular.  I'd say I'd know if it didn't fit
after about an hour.

Different brands & even different models in the Troxel
line have a different basic shape.  The Troxel Sport
(old Troxel EQ) is more rounded.  The one with the
pony tail port in colors (can't think of the model
name - too many blows to the head) is more oblong in
shape.  The only way to choose is to try them on &
play with the fit adjustments that they all have.  I
have seen folks snad down the hard foam shell to fit a
lumpy or odd shaped head, but I wouldn't recommend it.
 You will be altering the protection in that area.

I've found that the padding flattens out over time &
the fit loosens.  I wear a Troxel Sport medium without
fitting pads when it's new, but add them after a
season as the helmet loosens.  I also like the
removable mesh liner in the Trox. Sport - I can wash
it out!  Ever smell one of the OLD hunt helmets?
Yuck!  With the removable liner on the troxel, I can
take it out in the winter & add Teddy Lancasters polar
fleese liner to stay nice & toasty.

I've always gone with white as it tends to be a cooler
color.  I also feel like it stands out more if someone
is looking for me after a fall.  Of course, if I fell
now, it would be camoflauge since we have 12" of snow
on the ground.  :-)  If you find you don't like the
helmet color, you can always wear a helmet cover.
I've found that helmet covers are snagged & snatched
off by tree branches, though.

The helmet should be ASTM/SEI approved - testing
standards that show that the helmet meets minimum
requirements for protecting your noggin when falling
from a horse.  Bicycle helmets are tested to different
standards, so they really aren't interchangeable.

I undertand that helemts should be exchanged every 5
years since the materials break down.   My husband has
been teasing me that I won't keep one that long riding
my green brok gelding!  Troxel is <very> good about
replacing injured helemts for a minimal deductible.

Lastly, NEVER buy a used helmet.  You will never know
if it was left in the heat & sun, had a previous fall,
etc.

Nore than you ever wanted to know!

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch
I wear a helmet so I won't have to collect on my
health & life insurance!

--- Claudia Provin <provincmk@fanninelectric.com>