Re: RC: Re: Fw: RC: endurance prospect and training

In a message dated 2/8/00 3:11:58 PM Pacific Standard Time, Pamnetus@aol.com
writes:

<< How about the line between training too much and not training enough.  Do
you
 go by the horses pulse after a good work out?  I knew a person that trained
 so hard her horse was worn out by the time she went on her first 50 and was
 pulled first VC. What is the correct training for a young horse?  I know
 there is a fine line somewhere. Pam in Reno >>

Well, these are THE questions everybody wants answered, in all sports. And
they're tough, because they depend on so many details and variables. Initial
condition, terrain, rider weight, nutrition, shoeing, horse's body weight,
horse's rate of acquisition--on and on. The questions that give a genius like
me nightmares. Nobody's even close to figuring out the answers in horses. In
humans, just as soon as the world settles into a safe, productive
conditioning routine for a given sport, siome batch of Ethiopians comes along
with a whole different protocol, and a whole new set of variables, and rips
the sport wide open again.

The simple answer is this: do more than the competition, but bring it on
gradually and watch for all the signs that you're going too fast too soon
while always seeking to achieve a progressively loaded exercise program.

ti