Re: Huge Mileage, was 4 oz GL

In a message dated 2/8/00 2:41:03 PM Pacific Standard Time, Farafix writes:

<< Tom,

 Can you elaborate on "huge mileage"? <

Just in general. I can't give the guy's techniques away. He did a wonderful
job for us.

> Nancy Loving in her book, Go the Distance, recommends that by the third
season of conditioning, to "Limit your horse to no more than 90-100 miles of
work every two weeks to protect against musculoskeletal wear and tear.  In
difficult terrain you may want to limit your mileage to less than 60 miles in
a two week period." (p. 100)>

She's wrong. No such thing as "musculoskeletal wear and tear". Either the
conditioning is appropriate to the demands of the event, and the muscles,
tendons ligaments, joint capsules and bones get continualluy stronger, or the
exercise or race is "too much, too soon" and you do damage.

>  She doesn't give a specific heartrate to work with in the 3rd yr, other
than to say that the 3rd season workouts should be similar to the 2nd season,
where she advises to work at heart-rates of 120-150 with some work up to
170-180 (not really specified as to how much work at the higher rate). >

Can't argue with the intensity levels. My best guess is that the higher
heartrate stuff should be about 1/3 the volume of the distance work. One of
each, each week might be appropriate--still working on this, though. Donalyn
and Rita both have more experience with the higher intensity stuff. Gotta do
it, though.

> Her heartrate parameters sound similar to your recommendation, so I was
curious as to what distance you advise riding, say in a 2 week period  --- on
a horse that already has a solid base of 2-3 yrs of conditioning.>

Not smart enough to give safe advice here yet. In my opinion, a horse that is
capable of 60K of volume (mixed work) per week today, should be capable of
250 K per week after two years of progressively loaded exercise--that is, if
you did nothing but conditon the horse. But that's just philosophy right now.
May not be possible, but that's the size of my current "envelope".

 >Years ago a very kind and generous endurance rider took the time at the Old
Dominion 2nd vet check (at 50 miles) to answer the questions of a wannabe
distance rider (who had no idea at the time how rude it was to interrupt his
rest time!!!!). He'd advised me to ride in a week the distance I wanted to
compete.  That's worked pretty well up to 50 miles.  Now I'm considering
trying a 75.  By Loving's recommendation, I'm probably riding enough --- & I
surely don't want to break my horse down.
 What's your 2 cents worth on training distances?>

I'd say follow the first advice, and, over time, go beyond that.

 >Thanks!
 Nancy & Tempo (50 a week is quite enough, esp on the same old trails,
Bor-ing!)
 MD >>

Wish I had more complete answers--need a year or so.

ti