Re: RC: RE: Re: Re: Fw: RC: endurance prospect, etc.

steph@endurance.net writes:

<< I love to ride fast, but I'd rather settle for 2nd
 than sprint for the finish. (though I'm working on this ..
 too many run-away horses as a kid I think). >>

Actually, if you have to sprint for the finish, in most cases, your racing
tactics were wrong, way back. Shoot for riding strong, from the 3/4 point to
the finish. If your horse is, in truth, BC, then you'll win, hands down. Have
confidence in your conditioning ability and move early. BC can be a cop-out,
and sometimes a lie, as you've pointed out. Hell, go for the win--it's more
satisfying.

Halfway through the PC, I asked Sheikh Tahnoon, "What would you prefer,
another BC or the win?" (we had won the BC in the last race, placing third.
He made his decision at that point--and still we had to fight hard for the
win. But we won. Basically, staying in contention meant operating at another
five points of heartrate for many miles prior to the finish. And at the end,
we still had enough horse to walk away from them in the last 3K. The BC in
that race was decided before its recipient had crossed the finish line.

ti

ti