RE: Re: Re: Fw: RC: endurance prospect, etc.

>> if all that you say is true about the winner being
more fit and better because of it, why aren't there more 1st placers who
also win the BC award?

A few reasons that come to mind:
1) BC is based on time + weight + vetscore.  - more factors
than just the condition/fitness of the horse. If the time is close,
the weight factor can make a big difference. Plus the vetscore is a
subjective score. Much variation between vets in how they
rate a horse's condition. A high headed Arab can give a much
better impression than a laid back QH when scoring for
quality of movement. Plus if the horse has any soreness
due to interference,  saddle galls, etc the vetscore will be
reduced. Even the vetscore does not entirely represent the
fitness/condition of the horse.

2) one of the components of the vetscore is Recovery - a horse
that races in for the win will probably take more time to cool down, take
longer to recover, and have a less impressive 10 minute CRI.
A horse that hangs back a little towards the end may lose
a little in time, but gain a lot in vetscore.

3) many riders have other/different goals than winning on a
given day - at least at the local level. I think the FEI rides and
high profile rides such as ROC draw a more competetive crowd.
But a lot of riders see the local rides as one in a chain of many
during the season, with a particular end goal in mind such as points
or BC awards, or conditioning for 'the big one' later in the year,
or even later in their career.
They are probably less willing to give it their all at a
local 50 miler. I think there are a lot of fit horses that fall
into this 'save it for another day' category. Whether we do
in fact risk hurting our horses in a sprint to the finish is
debatable... it certainly seems logical to me that higher speed
= higher risk. But, on the other hand better fitness = lower risk.
And then there's just plain old luck.

Personally - I wish I had more nerve. In my dreams I race for
the finish, but when it comes down to it I'll more often than
not pull back and gain control and hope for a BC. I have
tons of BC's but only a few wins, and my wins have all been
'easy'. I love to ride fast, but I'd rather settle for 2nd
than sprint for the finish. (though I'm working on this ..
too many run-away horses as a kid I think).

There have been times when I've pooh-poohed the winners
because they were foolish riders, and their horses did
pay for it eventually. But more often than not I'm in
total awe of those that can ride well and win too.

And speaking of 'riding well ' - Tom, I can't totally
agree with you on this one:

>> In genuine competition, the winner is always fitter and better
>>conditioned--and harder all around because of it.

I think you under rate the skill and ability of the rider. There is
a reason that some jockeys earn big bucks, and others don't. A good
rider can make THE difference. In pacing, in bluffing, in reading
the course and the moment. A win demands both a good/fit
horse and a talented rider.

Steph