endurance racing or riding; call it what you will (long)

Sally Hafkemeyer hafke7@netins.net
I lurk on Ridecamp for primarily one reason.  To increase my knowledge of a sport that has grown tremendously in the years I've been "on sabbatical".  I find many of the discussions very helpful in my attempt to catch up on what's changed in the sport since I last competed in the early 90's.  I rode one horse for about 2500 endurance miles.  We placed all over the board, a few firsts and BC's, more top tens and enough back in the back to know why it's called endurance.  My goals were never to run for a certain placing.  I was happy to finish to the best of our abilities that day.  I avoided racing.   At first because my horse came to me mentally unglued and I learned that she was a danger to herself, me and anyone in our vicinity if she thought she was in a race.  She was limited by her mental capabilities, not her physical.  I set my sights on winning in the long run; year end awards (not single rides) and mileage.  I was hooked on endurance, and my mare found her niche in life.  Never thought about whether we were "winners".  Were we enduring?  Learning?  Moving in a forward direction in our abilities?  Most of the time.  Made plenty of mistakes, too.  Then at the 1987 ROC my mare hit a rock,  was lame, and x-rays later revealed a hairline fracture of the coffin bone.  Endurance was over for her.  I had another prospect and set some new goals.  This mare was a dream.  Naturally athletic and with a good mind.  We started slow, but the few rides we went to she just cruised through.  Then we moved to the SW region and entered a ride in the New Mexico mountains.  I learned in one day how much I didn't know.  My mare died that day.  It's a long sad story, but ultimately, she died as a result of my lack of knowledge.  I went home in tears, with a handful of tail hairs to remember her by.  I knew I'd made a major judgement error that day, certainly not intentional, but it cost the life of a grand mare.  That was the last ride I competed in until last year.  I had decided that I was too ignorant of too many things to t
se that close to the edge.  Started thinking that endurance riding should perhaps be left to veterinarians, and other equine professionals.  That ordinary folk such as myself had no business out there. Well,  of course that's not true.  But I approach this sport again with what I hope is a wiser attitude.  Remain more aware of the fine line we ride on the endurance trails.  Is the answer to simply slow things down?   Not that easy.  Slow or fast, things happen out of anyone's control.   But to Tom Ivers' To Win is To Win motto, I say each to his own, and I will define winning for myself, thank you very much.   I make my decisions, good or bad, and take full responsibility for them.   However, I greatly appreciate the information that Tom and Heidi and all the other posters bring to the table.  Sort through what's on the menu, and make your best choice.   I believe there is room in this great sport for all of us!  The trails are open to all, and there's plenty of leeway within the finishing criteria to pursue your individual goals.

My point:  Danger is inherent in the sport at any level of competition and knowledge is our best minimizer.  Let's not simply attack those who take the time to attempt to share their knowledge and experiences with us.
Respectfully
Sally H.