trailer ties & snow

diann diann@realestate-idaho.cc
I'm not really a guest, just a lurker posing as one so I don't have to go to my other email address!
Thanks everyone for your input on trailer ties. I thought I'd share results... All that responded on Ridecamp and privately who have one or more were happy with them. Some were not real specific on which one they were using. There are 3 that are marketed. The Skyhook Tether ($280) and the Travel Tie ($210) are both listed on endurance.net and include pics. The Walz EZ Hitch($190) is at www.equineperformanceproducts.com, Steve also has the Skyhook Tether listed on that site- pics included for both. The main differences (besides price!)...Skyhook Tether has additional cables on either side for added stability. The Walz EZ Hitch is made out of aircraft quality aluminum. If Steve is reading, how long does the arm hang out and what kind of hardware are you using for attachment-stainless steel? I am attaching to an aluminum 4-star in case anyone was wondering. I have previously been using a portable electric fence but hard ground in the summer becomes a real pain, besides when your in a hurry to leave there's that tendency to wad up the tape which really wreaks havoc the next time out! I also tie my horse to the trailer at night so I can actually sleep-not because he's doing anything- but for fear the next loose horse will run through it. Snow...we've got about 2-1/2 maybe 3 feet. Had 5 foot drifts last week. Was 0 degrees at 8:30 yesterday morning- I think it topped out about 20. My excuse for hot buttered rum in the morning. And this is only the begining... I sled my hay to the pasture & have heated water buckets in the barn.  The pasture is about 200 feet from the barn (water & electricity stop at the barn) so I'm doomed to bucketing water to the pasture. Do I still ride in the winter? You betcha, usually not when it's below 20 though. My plowed driveway is 2.5 miles long so it gives me a little bit of room to ride. My horse has on Mustad anti-snowballing rim pads and Duratrac ice nails for traction. Ahh, winter is here...where'd i set that cup anyway?
diann