PEDAL OSTEITIS

   Well, I have been registered with ride camp for about 4 months now
and I thought I would finally get up the courage to ask a horse related
question. I got a little scared when I first joined and there was all
this talk about  hippopotamus' and then people getting their feelings
hurt and dropping out of ride camp. Maybe this was nothing new.  So,
maybe  this situation will be relative to other riders out there on ride
camp.
    I have a 9 yr. old Arabian gelding that has been diagnosed with
pedal osteitis. I bought him over 3 & 1/2 years ago when I first got
involved in endurance riding.  Since then we have completed two 50 mile
rides and 6 limited distance rides. We also have had our share of pulls
for lameness in the front legs. I finally gave up on my idea of giving
him 4-6 months rest each time he showed up lame. So, back in Oct. 1998 I
took him to a vet . Of course by the time we got the appointment he was
only mildly positive after flexion of the left front. Vet took 4
different x-ray views of the left front. The x-rays showed nothing
abnormal. Vet diagnosed synovitis digital tendon sheath of left
front.??? Vet recommended 2 months rest and 1 gram bute for 30 days and
legend IV every 7 days for 3 injections. Well, I guess I was not too
impressed with this vet because I did not go back again and I did not
get the $129 each injections. Gave the horse the 2 months off and
trained him for 3 months and we did a limited distance ride. He did
great so in 3 more months we do a 50 mile ride and he does great again.
A month later he shows up lame on a training ride. I take him that day
to another vet who takes x-rays, flexion tests, hoof tester. This time
the x-rays show signs of side bones in both front hooves and I guess
some inflammation. The vet was concerned about side bones in an 8 year
old horse. The vet diagnosed pedal osteitis in both front hooves. The
vet injected Depo-Medrol in both coffin joints and said I could start
riding in a few days. Well, I'm sorry but a few days seemed too quick
for me so I waited a month or so. Started back training him slowly and
got ready for a limited distance ride in August. Again, he finished
fine. Went to another 25 mile ride the end of September and was grade II
right front after the first loop. Not to get too discouraged, I give him
another 4 months off and he looks great. We do another 25 mile ride in
Feb. and he finishes fine. Thirty minutes later he is lame. I give him 6
months off once again, but this time he is lame after a couple weeks of
slow training. I go back to the same vet and get the same diagnosis and
treatment, but wants to try a different way of shoeing. So we put degree
bar shoes on the front feet and  increase the angles to 56 degrees. Yes,
he looked like he was on high heeled shoes. I didn't know how he would
keep his balance. Well, he was a trooper and kept on going.  Two months
later he is still lame so I take him back to the vet. I am told that
there are just some horses that will not respond to the steroid
injections or the bar shoes. He does suggest a type of surgery that
essentially cuts nerves away so the pain can not be transmitted. This
usually only lasts for a year. I said no way! I'm sorry but that sounds
cruel to me. So I'm told he will never be able to do endurance riding
because of the pedal osteitis. By this time I am convinced of that,  but
this horse loves to be out on the trail. He gives me all he has and the
pain does not slow him down. The vet said if it was her horse she would
still pleasure ride him, but give him bute the night before I ride and
then after I ride him. Also suggested a 3 degree aluminum shoe and keep
the 56 degree angle on the front feet. I put the 3 degree shoes on him
the first of Oct. and rode him once. He was still a little lame, but he
loved to be out there on the trail.  I have not ridden him since then. I
had  regular shoes put back on him last week  and the farrier asked what
I was going to do with him. I said that I guessed he was going to be my
pasture ornament because he is my best friend(besides my husband). He
said he knew of a loving family who would only pleasure ride him and
take care of him until his time came. I am a little bit in favor of this
because I saw 2 of these boys get a retired endurance horse last year. I
have never seen two boys so excited and appreciative. They thanked the
owner over and over and wore smiles from cheek to cheek. My farrier
keeps me up to date because he sees them every 6-8 weeks. He has nothing
but praises.
     So, I guess this is my last attempt at getting any suggestions. I
would hate to think that I could have a pain free horse if I had tried
something different. I know he will never be an endurance horse, but I
want him to be as comfortable as possible.
   Well, after a mere short story, if anyone has any ideas please
respond to my e-mail address. I know I have a lot to learn at this sport
and I'm sure I made plenty of mistakes with this horse so do not
hesitate to give your opinion. On the bright side I have another horse
I've had for almost 3 years and he has been truly Awesome!!!
                                       Adele Dennard  AERC #M18917  SE
region
                                       Jihad's Beau
                                       Awesome