Re: RC: tie systems

At 08:15 AM 12/26/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>diann  diann@realestate-idaho.cc
>Christmas is over so might as well start preparing for the next riding
>season...
>Who uses or has used either of the overhead tie systems (Skyhook Tether or
>Trailor Tie I)?  What do you like and/or dislike about them? Problems you
>have had?  Thanks...
>diann
>in cold snowy idaho

Wish we had snow, it got down to 10 degrees last night.  The horses are
giving me 'the look' this morning, you know the one "why didn't you blanket
us".  <g>

I've been using the trailor-ties for about a year and a half now.  I used
to use metal corral panels, and before that an electric corral.  I
definitely like the ties the best, and feel they are the most safe, and a
lot more convenient.  Especially if you are hauling around more than one
horse and on a multiday that moves camp every day.  It's quieter
too.  Although, invariably....we always end up parked next to somebody who
has their horse in metal corral panels that knocks into them all night.  :^)

My horses can lie down and roll while on the ties.  I tie them so that they
can still eat from the ground, or else out of buckets or bushel barrels on
the ground.  When I was first considering getting the ties, I talked it
over with my husband, and it was amazing to me how much he remembers from
rides -- he was pointing out time and time again where horses had been
injured really badly in panels or electric fence......I never realized how
many there were until he started specifically describing each one. (you
see, I thought I would have a hard time convincing him that we needed to
spend yet more $$ for something that we didn't really need, turns out he
ended up convincing me)  <G>  I haven't used the other type of tie, but it
looks to me like the horses don't get much benefit over just being tied to
the trailer -- they need to be longer (like the trailor-ties are).