bits

Mary  Cdcf14@aol.com
Can anyone tell me what a good type of bit would work with a horse that likes to have a bit in his mouth but is a biginner.  I am trying to get him ready for endurance this year(2001) but a D ring snaffle just isn't working.  He is 8 years old and just starting out.  He was trained properly, just doesn't work well with a D ring type of snaffle.
I tried a hackamore on him but he "grinds" his teeth when I tried one on.  I know he isn't anxious or nervous, he just likes to have something in his mouth.  His teeth are fine.
I consider myself a experinced rider, but always willing to learn more, but I'm pretty sure it isn't me being heavy handed.  I have other horses, but never had this problem before. Please email me privately as I am not able to get online often.
Thank you and HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL
Mary