Re: RC: Re: Please don't use the word "midget"

In a message dated Wed, 20 Dec 2000  2:58:55 PM Eastern Standard Time, "Pat
Super" <superpat@ccountry.net> writes:

<< Hi Lari,  Just want to thank you for your gentle reminder   about how our
innocent use of words can be hurtful. And we would never know   unless
someone took the time to tell us. But I have to admit to still a little
confusion. If one wanted to refer to a horse who is on the very small side,
would one refer to a "dwarf horse"? Would that be less offensive or better
yet....not offensive?  >>

Lari's reminder was a good one, but to be absolutely correct, both words
"midget" and "dwarf" describe fairly precise and somewhat different
conditions.  A "dwarf" is a person or animal that has a fairly specific
genetic anomaly that causes long bones to be abnormally short relative to
other body parts.  Hence true dwarves have very short legs, but often fairly
normal sized heads, torsos, feet, hands, etc.  "Midgets" on the other hand,
are normally proportioned but abnormally small.  As long as either word is
used in its correct context, neither should be offensive--where offense comes
in is when either word is used as a derogatory description to belittle anyone
or anything that is small of stature.

Heidi