Follow up on Tying Up

Hi All,

It has been four months since Falon's tying up episode in California.
She was kept quiet in a stall for a week after we came home and then
moved to a larger corral for about a month.  She seemed fine but I
didn't want to risk another episode so we hand walked and just played
for a couple of months.  During the last month, I have allowed her to go
out into the pasture (125+ acres) with the other horses.  Again she
seemed just fine. She is not one of those horses that races around.  She
walks and trots as desired but doesn't really push herself. We have done
no workouts and no training of any kind.

The vet was at the farm to test the cows last week so I had him draw new
bloodwork on Falon and run a fecal count. When I got the test results
back I was very concerned.  I expected her results to be back to normal
and they were not.

I think I have read everything I can find on Tying Up. I even got our
young vet to read Susan G.'s Website with me.  I have swamped him with
all the material I found and all the latest studies too.  We still have
no real answers on why Falon's bloodwork remains elevated.  This has got
to be a nutrition and management problem as exercise has been very
gradual and at Falon's pace. Any thoughts would be appreciated,
particularly yours Susan G.

Many of the tests I needed were not done in the first bloodwork up  (or
were under different headings) but were done this time. My vet said the
high Potassium was his fault for not separating the sample in time.
(6.2). The fecal count was a little elevated on stronglites but nothing
out of the ordinary.

Test Results:

August                              December              Normal

CPK  3649                            CPK 2500             100-300
SGOT (AST) 3239                      AST  559             180-380
                          Total Protein  7.4               5.4-7.8
                           calcium      13.0              10.8-13.5
                           Sodium       133               132-146
                           Thyroid    Normal
                           Selenium   pending

I feed alfalfa hay and Falon is not getting any grain now but is on
pasture.  I noticed that her blood protein and calcium are on the high
normal side, while her sodium is low normal.  My vet is still reading.
Do any of you have suggestions for the continued elevation of the the
bloodwork and/or a new feeding program for this mare.  The other
endurance horses are thriving as is the rest of the herd of about 25.

Thanks,
Joane and the Herd
Price, Utah
Lyoness@Castlenet.com