From: Lari Shea
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2000 9:04 AM
Subject: RC: Please don't use the word "midget"

Hi folks,

As the sister of a man who was born with severe dwarfism, I'm sensitive to the connotative meaning of words used to describe this condition.  Some words carry a derogatory additional meaning.  A dwarf is an animal or person whose adult size will be much smaller than normal; there are many causes for and degrees of dwarfism.  (The accepted opposite term is "giantism")  In the past, some dwarfs were displayed in circus "freak" shows.....and were invariably termed "midgets".   Now, I know absolutely that none of you folks using the term "midget" to refer to small horses meant to use a derogatory term.   But when I glance down the list of subjects on the past few day's digests, my stomach does a little cringe as I keep reading this word.

I'm reminded of the time I was riding in Utah with a great gang of young cowboys.   When I complimented one on his saddle, he proudly told me he'd really jew'd the guy down he'd bought it from.  I knew exactly what he meant.  I also knew he hadn't meant to offend me.  So, because I liked him, I taught him that he had offended me....that I'm Jewish, and that the term "jew'd him down" has negative connotations.   He felt terrible....he sure hadn't meant to hurt my feelings.   He was glad I had taught him the concept,  and explained the connotative meaning of this term, so that in the future, he could communicate without offending.  Thankfully, there aren't many dwarfs around, particularly since the advent of synthetic pituitary growth hormone, so I thought probably most folks weren't aware of the different meanings of these two terms, and would want to know.

Happy holidays to all...

Lari

Lari Shea's Ricochet Ridge Ranch
www.horse-vacation.com