RE: RE: Knee Surgery vs replacement

Bernita,

Grafting & reconstruction is a far different animal
than knee replacement!!!  In reconstruction, they use
natural material (bits of muscle or tendon) from you
or a cadaver to rebuild tendons that are torn or
damaged.

In knee replacement, they essentially cut out your own
knee and replace it with synthetic parts (plastic and
metal).

One of the reasons that they hesitate to do
replacements on younger folks is that the replacement
parts either wear out or come loose from where they
are attached to your own bone.  It gets harder &
harder to redo the replacements until eventually
nothing can be done.  They'd rather have the knee
outlast you.  :-)

Linda
--- Jerry & Bernita Barfield <barfield@primenet.com>