insights-long

Over the past several months, I've had a major transformation of my opinions concerning the over-ridden horse problem...My assumption was that most horses that were "over ridden" were amongst the front runners...horses ridden by ego maniacs questing for recognition etc.But I realize now that, although the reckless front runners are out there, the majority of the ridden- way -beyond- their capability horses are not in the top ten...

When I started out in endurance, I was extremely focused and dedicated...almost, I suppose, to the point of obsession!  However, the end result of this obsession was an incredibly well conditioned horse...One that would fly through fifties and 100's seemingly effortlessly...I do believe, in looking back, that the only reason he never won was because I was physically and mentally incapable of riding that fast for that long!
Over the years I've slacked off...gotten lazy and my conditioning program has suffered accordingly..My rationalization has been that I didn't need to do much conditioning because I was never going ride fast...just middle of the pack fifties.

Having retired my original #1 guy...I've found myself disappointed in my up and coming girl...After several 50's she still seems to loose her enthusiasm the last 15 miles.  She never quits or slows down...just losses all enthusiasm.  Well...now I know why!  DUH!

The other day I went out and ran (geriatric shuffled) six miles after MONTHS of very limited exercising.  I did it and I didn't die...but I sure felt like I was going to there for awhile!  The last two miles were extremely difficult and painful and that's when I realized what I had been doing to my mare.  Without adequate conditioning, I had been taking her on 50 mile rides...Of course she wasn't happy the last miles!! And I think about all the horses out there who are asked to do these rides with a fraction of the conditioning they should have...because we tell ourselves it's OK because we are going to go slowly...Walk around camp after a ride...most of the horses standing dull eyed with there heads hanging were not anywhere near the front runners.

So let's not fool ourselves any more at the expense of our horses...I will never ask my horse to do even 25 miles unless I have put in the necessary conditioning before hand...no matter how slow I plan to go...  JMVHO      Sandy