Bifocals - summary of responses

Wow, did I pick a potent subject!
Thanks to everyone that responded.  There were so many that I've given up on responding privately to each of you.
There seems to be a 2 to 1 preference for the progressive lenses vs the fixed line ones.
Comments included
Check into bifocal contact lenses
Have sunglasses for riding that are not bifocal.  (Won't help for night riding, but that is already in my plan)
Be sure the company you buy them from will warranty your ability to wear which ever type you choose.
Getting motion sick at first seemed pretty standard for most folks.  There is definitely an adjustment period.
If you continue to have adjustment problems it may be because the "line" is not in the right place for you and should be higher or lower.

I think this captures the sense of most of the comments.
Thanks again to everyone who wrote.  There really doesn't seem to be a right or wrong answer.  It's kind of like buying saddles.  Which ever one works for you is the right choice.

Sally Aungier