Re: RC: FEI

In a message dated 12/14/2000 4:39:57 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Howard4567@aol.com writes:

<< We really need to think about their silly rules and why
 they have to be as they are.  And why we even want to follow those rules.
 Quite frankly, I don't think we seem to have our fair share of input into
how
 FEI endurance rides are run (someone, please, correct me if I'm wrong). >>

THEIR rules are the ones that rule the equestrian events in the Olympics.  If
we are to compete internationally, and/or eventually in the Olympics, we MUST
follow their rules.  Not all AERC members are interested, or capable, of
competing internationally, but for those who ARE interested, they must follow
FEI rules. The rules in no way inpact AERC rules, actually the contrary is
true.  You should have seen the way those rules worked 15 years ago!  AERC
rules have influenced FEI rules considerably since 1985 when we did a ride in
Switzerland.  FEI rules are now more lenient than they were then, due to AERC
influence. The UAE are relative newcomers in endurance, and yes, they have
enormous amounts of money with which they seem to be trying to impress
someone.  As for success in riding abroad, we had plenty of that for awhile,
just the last year or so luck hasn't been as good.  Remember, we've had
several AERC riders bring home world and continental championships......Becky
Hart, Sandy Schuler, Valerie Kanavy, Danielle Kanavy, Judith Ogus.  I'll bet
I've forgotten a few.  You're thinking the way I did a few years ago, but we
all have to realize that unless we plan to be isolationists, we must become
involved with the world endurance community and the rules that govern it.  We
can still have AERC here at home for the majority of us.  We CAN have both.

Barbara