Re: antibiotic use

Paddi wrote:
...Over use of antibiotics is a big problem. Hear about it in the news and
from Doc all the time.
Why do most people give penicillin the minute their horse gets a scratch or
cut?
<snip>
Antibiotics affect both good and bad bacteria. The body produces its own
immunities to infection and only needs help if it is a bad infection.
If you are using penicillin (which we can buy in Canada at any tack or feed
store) for every cut or puncture you could be doing more harm then good.

I was reminded this week that my vets (equine practice of three) do not
prescribe antibiotics indiscriminately, and that I'm grateful for this.

On Tuesday I had my first direct experience with choke (I've owned my first
and only horse for four years).  Brought my pig-ish gelding Jack in from the
field, where his small herd had consumed all their hay, and he gobbled up a
mess of his very nice, non-stemmy timothy-meadowgrass hay from the pile in
the corner of his stall.  Almost immediately he started coughing and then
oozing green slime from one nostril.  By the time the vet arrived, huge
globs were dripping out of both nostrils, he was pawing, and he wanted to
drop and roll.

The treatment was uneventful and not as prolonged as the vet said it often
is.  We (Jack and I) got off easy because I was right there when it happened
and we got help immediately.  Along with discussing his feed for the next
few days, my vet advised me to take Jack's temperature for a couple of days.
If it spiked (and I know what's normal for him), we would begin antibiotics.

I'd rather have the hassle of having to make a trip to the vet's to pick up
additional medications than have my horse develop immunity to an antibiotic
that he might really need some day.

Cindy