Re: Saddle for High-withered Horse

Dawn,
What type pad are you using with your
Sportsaddle?  I recently attended a seminar
which included saddle fittings by Dr. Joyce
Harmon.  Fascinating!  I asked her what she
thought of the sportsaddle (since I use them).
Her reply was that she was skeptical upon first
hearing of them, but that pressure point readings
are usually excellent (meaning none) with the
right pad.  She recommends a gulleted pad such
as Skito Equalizer.  That is needed to keep the
saddle from pushing the pad down on withers.
When a non-gulleted pad is used, a pressure
point will show up on withers and spine.  This
statement confirmed my experiences.

Perhaps your new horse still needs another saddle,
but I thought this information would be of interest
to all sportsaddle users.

Dr. Harmon's statements about western type
saddles, (endurance and regular) was that
most of them are too long for Arabians and
create pressure points on shoulders, loins or
both.

Regards,
Sally Hafkemeyer
AERC #536