FEI

Wendy Merendini merendiniws@navair.navy.mil
I find the paranoa that some folks have about the FEI
amusing.  I would recommend that you check the facts
before spouting off.  AERC International is involved
with the FEI and does have input to policy.  If I remember
correctly AERC could have had more input at the beginning
of International endurance competition but the powers that
be of the time chose not to support international
competition...

As for the success of USA riders and horses overseas
(Howard) we did not do so bad in Dubai... Our horses were
flown half way around the world and we came home with the
individual Gold, Team Silver, two riders finishing in the
Top Ten (Val - 1st, Wendy - 6th) and only two pulls out of
seven riders starting.  Not bad.  I think France only finished
one or two riders... Luck can play a very big role in the outcome
of any ride, this year Lady Luck did a disappearing act for the
USA in France.

All said, I do not understand the hostility that some folks
express towards the FEI and International endurance riding.  My
friends that ride dressage do not get all spun up about the
differences in local, breed and international competition.
Really and truly people it is just not that much difference,
especially for the rider and as for the horse, the vet controls
are more stringent so the horse does not lose by FEI.

I for one am truly grateful for the way Ride Managers are
stepping up and adding a FEI division to their rides!  I most
appreciate the support they show by going the extra mile to
help riders who want to compete for the USA.

I tell you people, there is no greater feeling than putting on
that red, white and blue helmet
and sporting the American flag on your shoulder and then going
out on the trail and doing your very best for the USA.  It is
hard to explain the wonderful feeling of being part of
something larger than yourself... When I walked into the barns
in Dubai and saw the United States of America banner hung above
the entrance to the USA stalls..., well I tell you, it was
just awesome.

So - Bravo to those great Ride Managers!  And for the rest of
the nay sayers don't knock it until you try it!

Wendy Merendini