RE: Common sense shoeing, was LTLH...

The research on wild horses indicate that the horse had a 55 degree angle, but they did not take into account the dubbing that occured from the sand and terrain the horses covered. the heels were less than 2 CM in height with a toe also very short at about 3 inches.  toe height and heel height have been discussed but Ovenick, Bergy, Duckett, Reddon, Jackson and Strasser. Actuall X-rays taken on the wild horses also indicate that the hoof is closer to the 45 degree angle and that the bottom edge of the coffin bone is ground parallel.  Read here for more info.

5http://www.cpb.uokhsc.edu/ojvr/hoof99b.htm

       The numbers are simply arbitrary, relative values for the changing vertical force and, so, friction at the heels, quarters, and toe. Friction at the heels totals "6" at the quarters "9" and at the toe "7". At the end of support, lift-off, the heel and quarters leave the surface with minimal or no friction. The toe, however, rolls and slides on the surface as the foot is rotated by the shortening deep flexor tendon and muscle, giving the wear pattern of Figures 3 and 6b.
The wearing of the toe automatically allows the toe to "drop down" as in Figure 6b, giving the larger hoof angle, measured at the toe, characteristic of the feral hoof under rough surface conditions. Ovnicek et al (1995) found the angle to be about 50 to 600 for the fore feet of feral horses. Jackson (1997) reported the angle to be about 50 to 600 in both the fore and hind feet of feral horses as was true for my measurements of the zebras and onager.

http://www.hooftalk.com/  here is Bergy' site for cross refference

http://www.hopeforsoundness.com/research/whstudy/whstudy.html and Ovenick's research on wild horses

http://www.alltel.net/%7Estar/index.html Jacksons website. he has all his research in his books not on the site.  You can also purchase Strassser's books here fior here research. she has a website, but it is all in German.

Reddon had a feature article in Equus magazine a couple months back, but i cant find that info on the web.

Anna
Mules and Other Critters
http://pages.ivillage.com/annalar16/index.html
To Shoe or Not To Shoe
http://hobo14.terrashare.com/main.html
Anna's Critters
http://shyann.terrashare.com//mainone.html

One more note as I have been reading this thread....someone mentioned that wild horses naturally have short toes AND low heels???  I have never heard this....the research I have read indicates wild horses naturally carry a 55 degree angle.  That does NOT indicate low heels to me