Re: Arrrrggggghhhh - ticks!

Pat,

I don't know whether you guys get biliary over there, but out here it is a
common tick-borne disease, which can and does kill horses and dogs (cats,
for some unknown feline reason, are immune).  It can go to elychea (sp?) as
well, if not treated, and attacks the spleen and liver.  My dog had it last
year and was very, very ill.

I dip my horses every second weekend, as well as my dogs.  I also mix up dip
in a fly spray bottle, and spray their legs, their sheaths, and their tails
before they go out every morning.  Once a month, we put tick oil in their
ears and around their bottoms.

When I first moved onto my property, I had a bad tick problem, but I've
noticed a definite decline in the number of ticks over the years. Keeping
the grass short and doing the above regimen helps.

I've also heard of using frontline on horses.  Unfortunately, our ticks out
here have become immune to it.  It does nothing for the ticks on my dogs.
Also, I'm of the view that it is important for animals to build up a
resistance to biliary, so I don't like using anything that keeps the animal
completely clear of ticks from the time it's born.  Sooner or later, one
slips through, no matter how careful you are, and unless the animal has some
natural immunity, it's a gonner!

JMHO.

Good luck.

Tracey