Re: RC: endurance prospect

In a message dated 2/4/00 3:36:16 PM Pacific Standard Time, CMKSAGEHIL writes:

<< Well, I got mine from the geneticists.  Since they are scientists and not
breeders, does that make me safe?  Or is it still babble because you don't
personally happen to "believe" in their science?

 Heidi >>

As you may know, I prefer not to "believe" anything. A geneticist studies
genes, and I have no quarrel with that science. But the genome of the horse
has yet to be unraveled and no one has yet attempted to define the genes
which produce or contribute to performance in the horse. At least, that was
the situation when a group of top geneticists gathered together on Long
Island a couple of years ago. There was a Nobel Prize winner among these and
they admitted that they didn't have a clue--yet. They wanted funding from the
Grayson Foundation and the Jockey Club--representatives of both were
present--but these organizations preferred that the geneticists focus
elsewhere than on the "performance gene" since pedibabblers were having so
much fun touting one theory or another and gigantic Thoroughbred yearling
prices were the result of the wondrous "mystery" and "romance" of breeding
Kentucky Derby winners.

My talk at that gathering pointed out that the difference between a $15,000
claimer and a $30 million Triple Crown winner was essentially 4-6 seconds
difference in performance at a mile. And that this difference could easily be
overcome with proper conditioning and nutrition--the typical Grade I winner's
exercise protocol consisting of a little more than a mile a day.

ti