Re: RC:phenotype v. genotype was endurance prospect

Dear Mona
Just had a thought. When you bred your Bellesemo mare to Halynov, were
you breeding based on his pedigree or based on his conformation and
athletic ability? I'm wondering how many ridecampers out there honestly
choose a horse largely on pedigree. From the inquiries I've had, I would
guess not many. Endurance buyers have always asked for my video of Hal
and his offspring; most don't even ask to see the pedigrees. And
actually, when I have purchased horses, I have looked first at the
phenotype THEN at the genotype. Too many breeders in the old days bred
strictly by pedigree and it got many of them in trouble with
conformational defects. I think both are important, but I do look at the
horse first off. Also I look close up in the pedigree, not 5 lines back.
I forget what the statistical probability of retaining a trait is that
is waaaay back there and has not shown up in the first two left hand
columns of the pedigrees, but I remember it was low. I look primarily at
sire, dam, grandams, and grandsires.
Now put away the matches. This is just what I do and I'm not saying that
anyone else needs to do it my way. It's just what makes sense to me. I'm
interested in what other's look at . And I think everyone should have
the opportunity to post how they choose a horse, whether by pedigree,
conformation, movement, color, astrological sign---whatever---without
getting criticized for their opinion. Remember the old adage: opinions
are like a----yadda yadda.... I don't want to change anyone's opinion;
I'd just like to hear what they are.
Bette

--
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians, Home of TLA Halynov