Re: ridecamp-d Digest V00 #173

In a message dated 02/04/2000 9:37:38 AM Pacific Standard Time,
ridecamp-d-request@endurance.net writes:

<< A "central location" isn't as important as a transportation hub. Lexington
 was fairly centrally located, but that is *not* a transportation hub, so
 cheap flights weren't readily available and even driving there wasn't that
 easy, because it's not located at the convergence of major interstates.   >>

I have to agree wholeheartedly with the above. Last year, I planned to go to
Rolex in Lexington. I bought my airline tickets three months in advance, and
my motel reservations as well. I had several horses scheduled to work on
there.
Come the day before Rolex was to begin, a Thursday, I hied my little butt to
Sea-Tac Airport (Seattle) with lots of time to make my flight. My connections
were Seattle to Chicago and then chicago to  Lexington.
Well. My plane forgot to fly to Seattle, so my flight to Chicago was
cancelled. (isn't it amazing.) (United Airlines, by the way. That's the last
time I ever fly on THAT airline. No reason was given why the plane wasn't
there, none.)

 This was no problem, the weather was perfect everywhere, and the airline
...any airline..could get me to any major hub from Seattle. The problem was
making the one of only TWO flights into Lexington. I could not get a seat on
either one of those two flights to save my soul. I could get to any major hub
city near Lexington, but not INTO Lexington. The soonest I could possibly get
into Lexington by air was on Friday night, (well after the dressage
competition was to have started) IF I flew standby and IF I was lucky enough
to get on the plane.

I lost a hell of a lot of business because I had to cancel the entire trip.
And all because Lexington, for all it's a central location, is NOT a "hub"
city.
(the lady at the airline check in desk said, "Just what is going on in
Lexington? There's an awful lot of people trying to get there."
"Rolex" meant only a watch to her........)

So please, when you plan a big event that draws people from all over, make it
easy as possible to get there!!

Michelle
MBlanchrd@aol.com
Oly, WA