Re: RC: endurance prospect

Maybe the question should be asked what the pedigrees are
of horses who aren't made for this sport? Or would that
start a whole new flaming slant to this discussion? :) (I
can smell the smoke on this one already!!) I don't disagree
that you can breed to get more of a trait in an individual,
but we do have to take into acct. all the other things that
go into that individual. I know there are alot of breeders
preserving certain lines and strains, and I commend them as
long as they aren't pumping foals out like a puppy mill and
passing off poor individuals as quality animals. Breeding
for muscle and no brain, etc. (To try to make my point,
here is an example from something I personally
encountered.) I appraise residential property, went to a
property to appraise for new construction. The owner has 3
or 4 large barns, raises Thoroughbreds. This was last
spring and there were probably 50 or more mares w/foals
there to be bred during their foal heat to the stallion. I
asked if the owner would like to show me around, but he was
very busy (as you can imagine, with more than 100 horses
there and at least 50 stalls) he said I could walk around
and look by myself. But, he said, don't pet that stud horse
- he holds up his hand, showing my his little finger is
missing and says - he took off my finger last year! Ok, so
I'm thinking, sure, breed for speed, but temperment we
don't care about. (Tom, I am sure you know this guy and
stallion, but I am not mentioning any names:) Now who
knows, is his meaness genetic, environment or just being a
"stud"? I can tell you, if I'd have owned a mare I'd have
thought long and hard before breeding to that guy. But look
how many mares were there, just for the hopes of getting a
"fast" one. Prabably had a pretty good pedigree too. I hope
some of this makes sense, I just think its really all a
crapshoot. There are so many variables, that although I
love that our guys have famous relatives, I know they are
just little arab geldings that are worth less than $1500
each. What bugs me is that there are so many horses being
bred to find that one shining star. And what happens to the
culls with the great pedigrees? Maybe breeders should do
what some dog breeders do. Colts would have to be gelded to
get papers and fillies that are bred can't have their foals
registered. Might slow things down a bit, as well as saving
the truly extraordinary individuals for breeding. I guess I
don't have the answer, except do my part. I won't own a
stallion and will only ever have a horse bred to replace
mine. Sorry this is long..........

=====
Heidi              /\_/\~