Re: RC: Re: breeder ethics

You know, Renee
I don't think ANY breeder purposely says "I'm going to breed for a lousy
conformationed horse but he will be marketable because he's black or
tall or has a giraffe neck (halter)." Some of what we call "bad
breeding" may just be a case of "barn blindness." For some, it may be
more a case of breeders putting more importance on one quality than
others. Perfect example: many halter people bred for long necks, pretty
head with the unfortunate side effect of crooked legs. They didn't care
because that was not important to them in the halter ring.
Now I breed for athletic individuals, and yes, some of Hal's get did
well in halter competition but most would not because they do not have
what is currently popular. Some would criticize me for not breeding to
exotic headed mares---it is simply not a priority for me. My horses are
pretty to me even though they do not fit in with the fad of the times.
Some breeders bred for that 'park" trot because that is what they hope
to produce. Endurance riders don't like this movement because it is a
waste of energy in a race.
Many English Pleasure horses do not have straight legs and paddle, yet
have incredible trots---this is important to these breeders.
Do I agree with the other breeders on what they are producing? No, I
would not want to be breeding at the expense of what I and I emphasize
"I" think good conformation is. Never-the-less I have enough just to
manage my own without worrying about what others are producing or why.
Forgive me, but I may have my private ideas about what I like and don't
like; I just don't believe in publicly putting down anyone's breeding
programs. For one thing, I have no control over what others' breed and
for another, I have enough on my plate already without worrying about
what others do.
Just a thought.
Bette

--
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians, Home of TLA Halynov