Re: RC: Re: breeder ethics

truman.prevatt@netsrq.com writes:

<< Most breeders are business people. They will breed for what thay can get
 the biggest return on their investment. If you could sell a tall black
 Arab for 100,000 and a short gray one for 1,000 which would you breed? >>

Actually, I have a semantic problem with that, Truman.  To me, "breeders" are
people who are in it for the long haul, who have a definite program, who
breed first and foremost to better the breed and to please themselves, and
who are not influenced by fads.  Lady Wentworth, Homer Davenport, Albert
Harris, WR Brown, Henry Babson, WK Kellogg, (to name a few) and in today's
world Bazy Tankersley and a few others merit the title "breeder."  The people
you describe who try to figure out what will market best next year are
"producers" and really do not merit being called breeders.  Just one of my
pet peeves...

Heidi