Re: RC: lameness detection

Eenergonzillen@AOL.COM writes:

<< Are any of you very good at detecting lameness in a horse.  I used to
think
 that if their heads bob, they are lame.  And, though this is true to some
 extent, some horses' heads bob when they trot, even though they are sound.
 They don't bob a lot, and it is an even sort of bob, but they also don't
stay
 totally still, like other horses.  And, when you are trying to detect hind
 end lameness, and you look from the back, their lame side stays up high when
 there is weight on it.  The sound butt cheek drops down to normal level with
 weight on it, but the lame leg doesn't allow all of the weight to go on it
so
 it appears as though that cheek never drops down.  Oh, no, I'm sure I have
 made such a mess of this, it is so hard to explain what I am trying to say.
 I guess what I am asking is, how do you detect lameness??? >>

With years of experience and observation.  As for head bobs--it's all a
matter of symmetry and determining which direction the head is going (up or
down) when the leg is landing.  Gaited horses REALLY bob, but their heads are
descending as the front feet land, and they bob in a very symmetrical way.
Many experienced endurance riders are very adept at assessing lameness--give
it some time and careful study, and you'll get better at it, too, Renee...

Heidi