Probiotics

Another question from South Africa. I have been reading through the
archives (1996) and see that many of you guys use probiotics before, during
and after a ride. Someone then mentioned that yogurt is a substitute for
probiotics if they are not available.
Question 1: Are probiotics still used before, during and after rides? or os
this out dated?
Question 2: As probiotics are unheard off here in South Africa (other than
the vet using them and getting them from the vet for regular use is WAY out
of my price range) can yogurt be substituted? How would it be administered
ie. quantities and frequency?

Thanks
Celeste (South Africa...gee but you guys are spoiled there with all your
neat stuff!)
Mawlud & Shadixx (yogurt!!! did she say yogurt!!!...YUCK!)