Re: RC: New Topic - Hooves

Dear Jan
To save our beloved stallion Explodent who had spikes a fever on
Christmas Eve and had sloughed his hooves before the vet got the message
the next morning. we had every hot shot working on him from Moses
Gonzales (NBS) to Don Birdsell (of Alamo Pintado Fame ) to Dan Bradshaw
to everyone west of the Mississippi (did I get enough p's and s' in?)---
even the hot shot What's-his-name in Texas. This is what I learned:
THERE IS NO ONE WAY TO SHOE!!!!
DIFFERENT THINGS WORKED AT DIFFERENT TIMES!!!!
IT WAS A TUG AND WAR GAME BETWEEN CONTRACTED TENDONS AND ROTATING THE
COFFIN BONE!!!
We did the best we could and alternated between all the theories and
keep a stallion who should have been put down logically, alive and
relatively comfortable (hey, he was in with mare(s)) for 7 years past
when he should have been gone. The farriers all had their different
theories and one theory worked for awhile, and then didn't. Then we
would change to another "expert" and that theory would work for awhile
until it didn't. I guess what I am saying is that each farrier had a
contribution to make and all of them did the best they could with their
theories and they worked---AS LONG AS WE, THE OWNERS, WITH OUR WONDERFUL
VET, CHARLIE BOLES, RECOGNIZED WHEN IT WAS TIME TO CHANGE THEORIES---and
the theories were exactly opposite from each other. We finally did have
to put him down after the last double tenectomy; he got up and
fragmented his sesmoid bone, there was so much osteoporosis--no hope
after that---but the farriers, bless their hearts, kept him alive and
kicking (literally) for seven years past his initial injury. My
recommendation would be to work with your vet as to what changes are
happening as a result of new farrier techniques--he can see what's going
on with the coffin bone (am I spelling that right, Heidi?) and the
tendons. It kept us on top of Explodent's progress and gave him many
good years. (OH and visit my tribute to him if you've a mind to at
http://www.stormnet.com/~woa/contactus.html (corny but heartfelt)
Bette
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians, Home of TLA Halynov
http://www.stormnet.com/~woa
I've learned that life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer it
gets to the end, the faster it goes. Smell the roses!