thumps ? feed ??

I bought a new horse in Nov. He was very thin and I just thought he was
over ridden and not feed enough as I was told that he had to be on a low
protein diet because it made him to high. Half arabian saddlebred.  On
the scale i would say he was 2 1/2. I started increasing his feed some
and added beet pulp but he still did not gain. On Jan. 9 he coliced and
spent 5 days at the vets. Vet said he thought it was sand colic plus
something else maybe absesses that has been going on a long time being
the reason that he was not gaining weight.  He put him on a high protein
diet.  Equine Senior and alfalfa hay, 2 blocks a day. I did question
that.  I kept him on 2 alfalfa blocks and 1 costal , 4lbs  E. Senior for
2 weeks  and started back on beet pulp. Last week I cut him back to 1
alfalfa and 2 coastal, 3 lbs E. Senior and 4 lbs wet beet pulp and oil.
This week he is getting 3 coastal, 8 to 10 alfalfa cubes, 3 lbs E.
Senior, 5 lbs beet pulp and a cup of oil. I am cutting way down on
alfalfa and will cut it out.  He really has not gained any weight except
for the 30 lbs that he lost while he was sick but his body is filling
out. Changing. He just isn't as drawn up and sunk in as he was. His
bones just aren't sticking out as much.

When I first got him I noticed that he breathed a lot faster than my
unconditioned horses and he was conditoined for 25 and felt like he
could do more. His HR seemed to be fine.  I wanted to start riding again
this weekend. But I don't know.    Today I was making him trot and run
in my arena for about 10 min. and when I stopped he was really breathing
fast. panting. Then I noticed his sides jumping and it was with his
heart beat. In about 10 min. he was breathing normal and I could not
feel his sides ticking.   Thumps?
Could this be from the high protein from the feed and alfalfa? Too much
calcium?
If it is from feed how long will it take to get out of his system?

Dolly