re: Ride "bring-alongs"

I asked my vet a while back just how much first aid I should carry on
the trail and she gave me what I thought was a pretty practical answer.
She said basically, what you should aim for on the trail (or when
travelling with a horse as well) is to be able ease the pain and stop
blood - the average rider is probably not going to put in 20 stitches or
perform major surgery - if the injury is that bad then what's packed in
an average first aid kit is not going to save it.

So, painkillers that come in a paste and sanitary napkins/gauze to stop
the blood are the top things on the list. Another important item is to
know how/where to apply a tourniquet (sp?). I admit I lack a little
knowledge in that area. You can use a rein or even part of your shirt to
apply one if you don't have anything specifically in your pack for it.

She wasn't saying don't carry a full first aid kit if that's what you
like but I thought her philosophy was pretty basic and appropriate for
what really matters for a severe injury. I tend to carry more while
training (usually alone and without a vet just one loop away) than at a
ride.

Tina

<snip>  The hole inside the roll can be stuffed with a small