Re: RC: Re: Re: Whining Ridecampers

In a message dated 01/30/2000 5:06:32 PM Pacific Standard Time, dial@pe.net
writes:

<< Never could figure out why people were willing to go through all the
 headaches and work that it takes to put a ride together. Is this an
 altruistic gesture or some kind of masochism? Or is it more like "well,
 somebody's got to do it....."

Interesting question.  For us it's the pleasure of sharing our beautiful
countryside with others, a reason for maintaining our trails other than for
ourselves, and the challenge of overcoming the problems that always crop up
from year to year .... sort of an attempt to produce the "perfect ride" (if
there is such a thing).  And it's fun to watch others enjoying the ride.
It's exciting on race day, running around opening gates, seeing riders come
through, cheering them on, treating them to goodies, and admiring the superb
athletes the horse are.  And .... most of our very best friends are people we
have met through this sport.  What else could we ask for?

Barbara