Re: RC: head carriage and split reins

Hi Carla,

So glad you've recovered from your accident. I had a terrible one in '87 on
the American River 50. Went off a cliff. Lost my horse and spent 5 days in UC
Davis, after a helicopter ride. Don't remember too much of anything about the
accident.

Anyway, I don't think tie downs are a good idea at all for endurance. Horses
really need to be able to use their heads/necks for balance. I do use a
running martingale on my younger guy, but once he gets the idea that there is
more than one speed of trot, other than FAST, the martingale will be coming
off.

The faster the speed, the higher the head? Sounds like maybe your mares are
trying to tell you something.

Just my thoughts,

Jeanne