Listening to Endurance Riders

In a message dated 12/7/00 1:59:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
grizzlyan@mindspring.com writes:

> I listen to endurance riders because they push the horse and
>  equipment envelopes, which trickles down to me with my slower long distance
>  rides.
>
>  In Sonoma County, California, we've lost half the rides within a 25-mile
>  radius in the last 5 years to developers. I hate them

Mike:

Spend enough time on Ridecamp and you'll learn endurance riders are as
diverse as any other part of American Society.  Pick any topic, and I mean
any, and we will most likely disagree.

The one thing I think we may have in common is we do care about our horses
and want to preserve the trails we have in this country, not only for
ourselves, but for the future endurance riders we are breeding.

I think a lot of endurance riders are a carry over to the early Americans who
pushed westward and helped your state become one.  Generally speaking, these
people were independent, perseverant, and free thinking.  The other side of
coin shows them to be not the best "followers" and they don't usually work at
making compromises with their adversaries.  In other words, they are not a
cohesive lot who will form a solid team.

A good example of endurance riders not making the best team players is our
recent achivements at the World Cup in Endurance held in France earlier this
year.  Even though we have the best horses and the best riders in the world,
we placed very poorly as a team.

My thoughts are my own and I could be wrong.

cya,
Howard