Re: RC: bitting questions (even longer)

In a message dated 12/05/2000 1:37:34 PM Pacific Standard Time,
goneriding@snet.net writes:

<< The horse really likes it <bitless bridle> and responds well - I have
considered just
 > sticking with it, but I am nervous about taking a 4/5 yr old to rides next
 > year w/o a bit.  And I do want to understand the problem. >>
I just started endurance with my 6 yr old Arab gelding. He was started in a
sidepull and I have continued to ride him in training rides and in the rides
since he goes so well in it. However, he is far from the type of horse that
"freaks out" or "worries" in the ride. It would just depend on your horse. If
you question your horses mentality or your ability to control the horse in
just the sidepull, for the first few rides you may want to consider riding
with the sidepull and a bit at the same time. It is a pain in the neck riding
with double reins, but you only use the bit as backup emergency brakes. This
has worked out well for my more "excitable/ hargy bargy" horses. After
putting some endurance miles on them  they calm down and I am eventually able
to safely ride in the sidepull alone.
Good Luck!
Robyn