Wild Horses Debunked!

Dear Michael Sherrell,

First, let me state that you are entitled to your opinions and I am
certainly willing to be convinced by logical and well supported
aragument. My objection comes from the use of tactics like name-calling
and people who try to avoid issues by playing on people's emotions
rather than their reason.

For instance "Attorney" White is immediately assumed to represent "Big"
ranchers against the government.

Fact One: I have never represented a rancher against any
government--state, local or Federal.  I do have some rancher clients
(generally contract and family matters) and they seem to get along well
with both the Forest Service and the BLM.  Ask Crockett Dumas who is a
Forest Service employee in our area and gets along very well with the
local ranchers and farmers.  The only divisive element I see is a few
very old timers (old issues with the BLM) and people from outside our
state who keep trying to tell us that we are not supposed to get along.

Fact Two: After several years of being allowed to ride and train my
endurance horses on the ranches of both friends and total strangers, I
gained a deep respect for the work and sacrifice of the average farmer
and rancher.  So much so that I have now, over the last two years,
developed my own 30 registered angus cow herd.  No, they don't run on
public land either Mike.  The cows and horses are managed in my
pastures.  Know what?--The horses do a lot more damage to the ground and
the water ponds. That does not mean I'm going to throw them out but it
sure means I need to manage them carefully.

Fact Three: I had better keep my "day job" as there is no money in
ranching and farming in our area.  Most farm/ranch families are working
very hard to make ends meet.  At the top of the market, even my angus
calves will bring only $1.00 a pound (which is up from .90 cents last
year).  It cost almost that much to raise them. Even though money is ver
tight, I see many ranchers this year selling their calves early because
they agree with the BLM that numbers should be reduced because of our
poor water year.  No reasonable rancher is going to trash his own permit
and loose his ability to feed his herd.

Fact Four:  My ranching partner, age 74, was the "evil old government"
BLM range rider for 30 years in southeastern Utah until the federal
government ask him to gather the original wild horses out of Death
Valley in the 1970's and set up the first adoption program in
California. After that he retired and came home. He knows every wild
horse herd in Utah to this day and we often try and observe and check on
same.  So do most of the other livestock people I know.  Most herds are
not a problem and we enjoy watching them as much as the elk, deer,
antelope and even the bear.

Grandpa Young's description of the original wild herds in Death Valley
is tragic.  Do you know why they started the program?  Horses suffering
from starvation, drought, sickness and overpopulation is truly sad and
really does tug at my heart strings.

Now,  what is your background in ranching and wild horses Micheal?

Joane White
Price, Utah