ponying & conditioning

Hi -

Anyone know how ponying compares to riding for conditioning effects?  I am
ponying my ex-racehorse quite a bit, and wondered how much conditioning she
gets out of it, if any.

Each week we are doing one day of dressage (1 hour of walking, trotting, and
cavaletti), one long ride in sandy, hilly terrain, and then 2 days of
ponying walk/trot intervals (5 miles per day, working up to 10-12).  Is this
sufficient to get her ready for an LD by spring?

Happy trails -

Michelle
(Colorado)