Re: More on euthanasia/slaughterhouses

Where I keep my horse there has been four horses put down in the last two
years - 3 through age related illnesses and one after a broken leg. All were
shot by the vet and subsequently cremated .  Their ashes are buried at the
yard.

I know of one person who had her old horse slaughtered, but she accompnaied
him to the sluaghter yard and held his lead rein while he was shot - which I
think was quite a courageous thing to do.

I agree with you that it is cruel to artifically prolong a suffering animals
life, I saw that twice on the last yard I kept my horse on with a 34 year
old horse who was so ill he ended up skin and bones and was shot lying down
as he could no longer get up, and another horse who was 'saved' after
breaking her leg very badly . She can only just walk and is in obvious pain
and has been ever since her accident two years ago. In her case the vets
prolonged treatement right upto the costs equalling the maximum insurance
amount her owner could claim £2,500 about $4,000.    Only then did they
sugest euthansia.

Sadly over here a lot of horses or rather ponies go to slaughter in awful
condition due to indiscreminate breeding on moorland and common land. The
only thing worse in my opinion is the conditions moorland sheep are now
falling into as a sheep sold for meat now fetches about £1 -4 if the owners
lucky compared to £50 - 100 four or five yearsd ago.

Tamara