Scarlet Oil - Replies to my post

On November 10, 2000 I posted to RideCamp:  "Anyone have any experience or
understanding of the method of action of Scarlet Oil?  My horse had a severe
trauma injury. Surgeon recommended Scarlet Oil at 2 week post-surgery exam.
Amazing difference in 12 hours. Can't say for sure if was the Scarlet Oil or
12 hours that did it... "

Following is a collection of the replies, but first I here is additional
background on the injury and an update: on October 16 my horse was injured
in the girth area, a very deep wound with 3 muscles severed and the muscle
between the ribs pulverized.  Sutures won't hold muscles together so the
skin was sutured over the site and a drain installed. The surgery, in my
opinion, was a work of art.  The prognosis was that the muscles will "find"
their loose ends.  The next day there was very little edema and she was
moving freely around her pasture.  This was very encouraging even though she
looked like Frankenstein's horse with 10-inches of sutures.

In 10 days an abscess developed, and then another.  I was dismayed to have
to remove a lot of sutures to treat the infection.  This resulted in a large
hole. Two weeks later the surgeon removed some necrotic material and
recommended a) that I get really aggressive in debriding - including going
deep into the pocket which was now large enough to accommodate my fist; b)
that I flush it with saline/betadine solution ["the answer to pollution is
dilution" - I used as much as 240cc 2 times daily]; and 3) and that I swab
the pocket and the wound with Scarlet Oil.

Scarlet oil was always in the barn when I was a kid but I can't say I ever
used it.  Now I needed some and couldn't find it locally.  I finally found
it on-line from Valley Vet (www.valleyvet.com).  The bottle was $5 but I
paid for overnight shipping.  If you are interested in having this item in
your barn you may wish to purchase it before a crisis arises.  I damaged the
label but the legible portion of the ingredients are: mineral oil, isopropyl
alcohol,  p____ , benzyl alcohol, oil of eucalyptus, methyl salicylate,
parachlorom__  __xylenol, and Biebrich Scarlet.

It has now been 5 weeks since the injury, and about 3 weeks since I've been
using Scarlet Oil.  The wound is looking really good.  I can only get 3
fingers into the pocket now.  Although the surgeon suggested swabbing
Scarlet Oil into the pocket I found it easier to use a small syringe and
squirt it deep in there.  Although Scarlet Oil smells like it could remove
varnish I was surprised that my horse did not object to this.  Next I poured
it on an open wound of my own and was surprised that it was not painful to
do this.  Recently while squirting it into the pocket I managed to splash it
in my EYE, not once but twice.  While I don't recommend this I am compelled
to report that getting soap in my eye is more painful.  My eye didn't even
get red.  Amazing.  Maybe a chemist could explain this... if only I hadn't
ruined the ingredient list.

Thanks to all who replied, I have hidden the names of folks who did not post
to RC.

Best regards,
Tina Rushing
El Granada, CA