Hoof traction, was "Barefoot endurance"

I have to agree with RD here to a degree....some shoes will give better traction than barefoot can.  Some shoes don't do a thing for traction (NBS shoes as an example...flat, smooth, slippery).  In that case, I'd rather see a horse barefoot!  As far as correcting a club foot....I also agree.  You can CONTROL a club foot and a good farrier who stays on top of it (meaning frequent trims) can make a horse look like it doesn't have a club foot.  But if left too long, it will make itself known again!  Re:  shoeing foundered horses.  Many people feel that a horse with laminitis should be immediately shod....well, those feet are sore and putting shoes on a horse's feet when they are in so much pain does not RELIEVE it at all.  Not that there aren't cases when shoes ARE needed.  But most horses given a trim to get them on their toes when they first show signs of laminitis can recover more quickly than if they are shod.  When they aren't in as much pain, shoes with pads may help for awhile....again, each horse is an individual.  We have seen some horses recover from laminitis without any problems or the need for shoes or pads while some end up needing pads and shoes for any amount of riding to be done.
Maggie (who started out with nothing and still has most of it left!)
Maggie (who started out with nothing and still has most of it left!)