barefoot and sore

Ridecampers,
Once again, my apologies for my computer's brain farts!!  Here is my post as it was intended!!

Linda,
Your horse probably DID grow but was wearing his feet naturally.  In that case, all your farrier should need to do is perhaps do a little balancing IF they are wearing unevenly.  He may only need to rasp.  He shouldn't pare out any sole or frog UNLESS it is old and dead and looking raggedy.  If your horse was wearing down to the point where he was comfortable, that little extra may be all it needed to keep him that way.  Let him go a little longer before his next trim and if he looks as if he is wearing fine, no chipping or flaring or generally falling apart going on, call your farrier well ahead of time and reschedule for a few weeks later.  He'll appreciate that more than showing up and having a horse not needing to be trimmed...unfortunately some farriers may feel they NEED to do SOMETHING in that case so they might trim a horse that doesn't really need it.  If he shows up and it is determined no trimming is necessary, offering him something for his trip and time would be a good will gesture that will keep you in his books.  Good luck.  I think I've used up my daily allotment of posts a long time ago so back to lurking...
Maggie (who started out with nothing and still has most of it left!)
Maggie (who started out with nothing and still has most of it left!)