Re: manure @ Oroville

No, you are not overreacting. And if you aware of specific indiduals,
politely react to them. Explain that you enjoyed the ride and would like to
come back and you need their help. When you can no longer ride someplace,
that may well be part of the reason. And, they shouldn't even need to supply
bags. Everyone who hauls horses to a trailhead parking lot should have the
resources (bags, garbage can, trailer floor, whatever) to clean up and haul
away manure and hay from trailheads.

They do it because that is the way they have always done it and/or they are
lazy slobs. It is no different than having a picnic and leaving your trash
on the ground when you leave. When you were the only one using a site for a
month, the stuff would rot. But, for the most part, you are not the only one
using the site and the accumulation doesn't have time to decompose before
someone adds more to the collection. After you have cleaned up 3 dump truck
loads spread over a camping area in the spring time that was left over from
previous years, you start to realize there is a problem. It is easy to haul
the stuff home.

If we can't solve this problem, we are going to be in deep trouble long
term.

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net