Below is a John Lyons technique and has worked every time for me:

From: John Lyons Communicating with Cues, Part I

"When a horse declares war on me, I'm going to put it in my mind that I
am going to kill that horse, beat that horse to death -- no holds barred
-- but only for three seconds.  That is the only time I allow myself to
lose my temper with a horse.  If a horse has bitten me, he's left me no
other option.  I have to convince him that he just made the worst
mistake of his life and he's going to die for it, and I have three
seconds to convince him."

There are rules however...

1. Only three seconds...count 1001, 1002, 1003...FREEZE!
2. Do not hit him in FRONT of the withers with anything that might blind
him, for example a whip or lead line.  A shovel is permissable. :) He's
a big guy...you won't hurt him....(ever seen one horse kick another with
both feet squarely in the ribs...and all he does is grunt and walk off?)

Actually, it doesn't make any difference what you hit him with...your
hand would work just fine (don't hurt your hand). It's not the pain, its
the way you go at him...but you must BELIEVE you're gonna kill him...for
those three seconds.  Horses do not understand "Quit" or "No".  They do
not speak vocal language. You don't have to say a word, although
screaming, jumping, striking, etc. at him may help you to "go to kill
mode".  Then go back to dealing with him as though nothing happened.
Don't hold a grudge or take any other aggressive action unless he
repeats the biting attempt.

Try it...it really works!

Regards Jim Holland AERC 4074