When it's nice...

Thought I'd share a little story that keeps me focused on why this is all
worth it.

Comet is my 6 year old Tennessee Walking Horse. We'll have lived together a
year on December 4. I struggle with recovering from chronic fatigue and
often feel progress is agonizingly slow with Comet because of it. I had the
nicest time with him last night.

Comet has always been very cranky over being approached while he eats. He
used to throw his heels at me and generally let me know that when he eats he
wants to be left TOTALLY alone. We've been working on this.

Last night I brought him in and put him in his stall with a little treat and
a little hay. I left him alone while he ate his treat, but when he began on
the hay I joined him with the intention of grooming him.

He was wonderful. I believe he has grasped the concept that as long as he is
quiet and aware and careful of where I am, he can eat relatively undisburbed
while I groom him. That way he doesn't have to be in the cross ties or tied
at all, he gets to do something he likes to do, and I get the job done.

He was very relaxed, yet attentive. When he wanted to move, he gave me lots
of careful warning, then moved carefully. His tail was very relaxed. (I'm
big on a relaxed tail as a sign of contentment. It was an important
indicator for Apache and it's the same with Comet. If they give me their
tail, they're relaxed.)

We have also been working a little on standing. When he was groomed, I took
him from his stall and put him in the aisle and asked him to stand while I
worked on his feet, which had ice just packed in them. He didn't have ice
balls, but it was so packed in he was standing about 1/4 inch off the
ground. God, it was hard work getting that crap out! I had left his feet for
last hoping the achieve some melt. I achieved some, but not enough.

Anyway, he was still as a stone while I dug and grunted and sweated and
swore for all four feet. Never tried to take a step. His head was hanging
low and I wondered if he slept :) .

What a delicious session! So proud of him.
--
T'Lara Joy Freedom - tfreedom@cadvision.com
Calgary, AB, Canada