Fun Camp [re: excitable horse]

You may not have extra time for this suggestion, but I believe that it
helped my young horse:  I belong to a riding club.  We go camping at group
camps so there are a lot of strange horses; we've been doing this since she
was 3.  Even within our group the riders prefer different paces and go out
in small packs.  Last year a group of Paso riders was in camp with us.  The
did a lot of riding in and out with their strange staccato hoofbeats.  All
of our horses got excited at first.  The sound of their hooves on the
hard-pack road was very unusual!  I launched out of my chair the first time,
saying, "what the heck is THAT?"  By the end of the day all of our horses
were comfortable with the Paso beat.

In "fun camp" my horse sees horses come and horses go.  Sometimes we ride
2-3 different trail loops in a day, but she doesn't go out with every group,
and camp time is relaxed.  I try to do one "picnic ride" with a slow group,
and I like to stay out at least 2-3 nights.

Unlike fun camp, there is an extraordinary energy level in ride camp.  My
horse a high-energy type and she really turns on in an endurance camp.  This
keeps me from getting too much sleep the night before a ride (I sleep in the
trailer), but so far she is good at vet checks and I hope that this will
continue.

If you are able, consider some low-energy camping.  It's fun!

Tina Rushing
El Granada, CA
(don't forget firewood and kindling, and a cast-iron dutch oven)