excitable horse

I would like some  suggestions about how to calm an excitable horse at vet
checks.  This horse raced on the track before his career started in
endurance three years ago.  He is an excellent horse.  The only problem I
have with him is that if he has been really moving right along with the
front runners, which is where he prefers to be and is capable of doing, he
doesn't come down at vet checks.  It is not due to being over stressed but
excitement.  He loves the race. If he goes at this pace on his own I have
no trouble with his pulse recovery. You can tell he is excited not stressed
because he is so distractible and watches every horse as it comes and goes
and doesn't settle into eating and drinking. When he hasn't been in a group
of horses  he will eat and drink really well. He usually is not an
excitable horse only in this situation. Does anyone have any suggestions
for getting his mind back to business in  this situation?

Myna