Re: Barefoot Performance Horses

As more and more horse owners are considering barefoot methods to keep their
horse's feet healthy it would be very helpful, IMHO, to publish in the
shoeing/hoof protection requirements in the ride brochure. Which some rides
do.

Such as....

All horses must be shod.

All endurance horses must be shod. (This I would assume to mean LD horses
don't require shoes.)

All horses must have hoof protection. (this I would assume to mean shoes or
protective boots.)

All endurance horses must have hoof protection.

Shoes recommended for all horses. (This I would assume to mean the trail
conditions likely require shoes for most horses in RMs opinion, but an owner
can make the decision based upon their knowledge of their own horse's
abilities.)

Hoof protection recommended for all endurance horses.

Etc., etc.

Just some suggestions, that I'm certainly not qualified to give. But may
certainly help to avoid misunderstandings as more and more people have this
question.

Lameness issues were the number one cause of permanent loss of use
(including death and euthanasia) of horses in a 93-95 insurance study, a
whooping 83%. If all we're willing to consider is the way it's always been
done how can we possibly change these statistics?

Cheryl, who is sincerely only interested in what is best for my horses.